We’ve recently decided to offer SEO classes. We may offer an online SEO class in the future (if there is enough interest), but currently we will offer them live and in person. However, if you would like to schedule a speaker or have a class taught in your own area- that’s entirely possible with some advanced notice (usually at least 30 days). Our speakers will teach class anywhere. Are you a real estate broker in Anchorage and you want us to teach your whole office? No problem; we’ll pack mittens. If you would like Michael to come to you, just contact us here.
What Can You Expect from Our SEO Class?
First, you should know that this will be a white hat SEO class. That is to say, this isn’t a secret, behind-closed-doors “workshop” in which we only offer the dirtiest black hat tricks to a “limited number of lucky guests.” Instead you will learn about Google as a system; you will be taught to understand Google for what it is: a database. We are going to get down to the fundamentals of what Google wants, plain and simple. Then teach you how to easily implement Google’s wants and needs into your own website.
The problem with SEO “tricks” is that their lifespan is very short lived. Therefore, we won’t teach you any tricks in our SEO class. We aren’t fly-by-night hucksters. You’re going to learn the same techniques that Michael George has used successfully since he first started optimizing web pages- over 14 years ago.
For example, there used to be a time where- if we wanted to rank well for the phrase “Online SEO classes” (as we most certainly want to do for this very page) all I would have to do is- at the bottom of this article- write that keyword phrase over and over and over again. Ten thousand times should do it. And I would really well rank in Google when people searched for SEO classes online. That worked in 1999, but not anymore.
Quick sidebar: I would hypothesize that, if I was the only person on the internet that used the repetitive-keyword technique, then it would still work for me today. That’s impossible of course, because if I was ranked number one using a silly technique, my competition would just copy my technique and do even more of it. I repeated my keyword 10,000 times on the page, so then my competition just repeats it 20,000 times. Easy-peasy; congratulations you are an SEO expert.
Soon, the Google results get spoiled, Google gets wind of the stupid trick and like Liz Lemon, they shut it down. (Really, if you like 30 rock, that’s a great link.)
Okay, but specifically, What Will We Learn in Class?
If you have a WordPress website, you will love this class, because Michael is a WordPress expert. However, the techniques that Michael will teach can be applied to any website. We may offer a WordPress-exclusive class as well. And of course, if you’d like to book all 50 seats, we can tailor our topic to whatever your company is most interested in pursuing.
The following topics will be covered:
- On-page optimization: Do you think your pages are well optimized? Are you sure? There is so much more to good on-page optimization than most people know. We aren’t going to tell you to repeat keywords at a certain percentage level or put things in bold. We are going to teach on-page SEO techniques that you’ve never read about before.
- How to use social media effectively: Social media is great, but not everyone needs a Twitter account to do well. Certain social media sites are more suited to some businesses than others. We’ll help you to understand where you need to place your social media focus and why.
- Off-site optimization (a.k.a. building links): As an SEO company, we don’t build links for our clients. We don’t need to. First of all, it’s against Google’s policy to buy links- so that’s a pretty good reason not to do it. Second of all, it’s a waste of money. If you are buying links, you are buying into a scam. We’ll teach you how to build real links that Google loves and it won’t cost you a dime.
- Remarketing: Have you ever shopped for a printer online and then, maybe a week later, you are on a website and you see an advertisement for that very same printer? We’ll teach you how to get people back to your website if you’ve lost them, using this same technique. It’s cheap and it’s effective.
- Live Site Audit: Michael will spend up to one hour answering questions. In addition, one student will be chosen at random, and Michael will do a quick audit of the website live. He will make suggestions regarding titles, copy, and overall on-page SEO. If you would like to be chosen for this, please be sure to check the appropriate box on the sign up form.
Who Teaches The Class?
Michael George is the chief SEO strategist at Guru Effect and he will personally teach the classes offered by us. If Michael is not available to teach a scheduled class for any reason, you will have the option of having your tuition refunded.
Michael earned his B.S. in Management Information Systems (M.I.S) in 2001. For those that don’t know, M.I.S. is a school of business degree and is well-suited for people who want to become systems analysts, also known as database experts. Michael worked as a systems analyst at the General Motors Technical Center in Warren, MI. Specifically, Michael analyzed injury data in the ergonomics lab to help determine what repetitive tasks were most likely to cause worker injury.
Search engines, like Google, are also databases. Who better to teach you how the Google database is likely to return results- better than a database expert.
For now, we are setting up classes in the following cities: